See that STR Gibson Mediumweight below – still in a ball… almost 1 year later.
My husband would like a blog update – which is odd as he get the live knitting updates every night. So – New Rule – I can now only have one difficult project on the needles at a time. I was going to start the Clandestine socks (because clearly Cookie designed them just for me) but after reading the pattern I decided they were too difficult to start with the Shipwreck still in progress. So what have I been doing? I’ve been winding yarn into balls.
I think this is my favorite part of any project
The shipwreck shawl lives! The beading section was going really, really slowly (OMG so slow) but has picked up now. My beads will be very dense near the center, gradually getting more disperse so for the first 5 rows it was beading every stitch. Now I’m up to every 5th stitch and am finally feeling the progress. I am officially half way through the netting. Hopefully I will finish sometime next week or the week after. Then, blocking
Our ship is not sunk but it sure isn’t going anywhere either. I’m totally stuck on row 16 of the Madeira pattern… just like everyone else who knits this pattern. Except no, there are many, many completed projects so clearly some people know what to do when they move that marker. It’s the double yarn overs that are killing me. I just can’t believe that it’s supposed to work that way. I have asked the great lord Ravelry for help and hope to be sailing again soon.
Note: tinking back 290 lace stitches really sucks.
Unrelated Note: dying yarn with kool-aid is totally addictive
After finishing the bleeding hearts section (lovely), it was time to increase from 144 st to 290 st. So far the shawl has been going really fast. However this jump seems to be the speed breaker. People, 290 stitches is a lot. Next up, the Mediera section.
I have read a lot of discussion on this section so I knew that I should put in a life line. Good decision since I messed up 4 rows in (not even the move marker line… just a normal screwup). Ripped back, try again. It’s going much more smoothly this time. I have made it up to line 11 where you start moving markers. The key seems to be not to think to much. It says move the marker forward, move the marker forward. It says to move the marker back, move the marker back. The pattern looks good so keep going.
Day two of the Shipwrecked Shawl adventure:
I did end up changing to 24″ #4s at the 144 stitch mark. I think it was a good decision. The knitting was a little tight for a round or two but nothing crazy and it is much easier to manage the pattern repeats on circulars rather than dpns. I also ended up putting in a lifeline before I started the bleeding hearts section. Also a good decision. I don’t think I will need it but I did think I had messed up my stitch count a couple of times and it was nice to know I wasn’t totally screwed.
I am currently at the last line it the bleeding hearts chart where it says to move the marker 1 stitch to the left. Thanks to Ravelry (knittingharpy to the rescue) I can confirm that this means to do the following
1) remove the marker
2) knit one stitch
3) replace the marker
4) go on with the pattern from the beginning of the line – k4, yo, k1, yo, k4, k3tog
OK, I’m going to finish this last line and go to bed.
Ok, started this project tonight with Malabrigo sock in Cote d’Azure. I am in love with this colorway. I plan to keep up my notes here so let’s start:
Cast cn using the circular cast on with crochet hook. The cast on described in the pattern is really difficult. Getting the stitches on the needles isn’t hard but knitting the first round is bitch. Circular cast on = much easier.
In one evening I have made it to the bleeding hearts section. I’m not sure when to switch to the 24″ circular needle or if I should place a lifeline now. I think I will go ahead and try both.